A Subsurface Utility Engineering (SUE) Request is processed when the project is designed by a licensed professional engineer and the project will include the investigation and depiction of existing underground facilities that meet or exceed the ASCE 38 standard.
A SUE required project means a project that meets ALL of the following conditions:
- The project involves a construction contract with a public entity.
- The project involves primarily horizontal construction and does not involve primarily the construction of buildings.
- The project has an anticipated excavation footprint that exceeds two feet in depth and is a contiguous one thousand feet or involves utility boring.
- “Two feet in depth” does notinclude rotomilling, and the contiguous one thousand square feet does not include fencing andsigning projects.
- The project requires the design services of a licensed professional engineer.
Recommended Facility Owner Response:
Facility owners/operators must respond within ten business days with one of the following:
- Provide underground facility location records that give the available information on the location
- Provide marks on the ground that give the approximate location
- Provide available information as to the approximate location
*Not to include depth for all of the above*